The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

The Tread to the Final Floor of Academics

Ricardo Govea (left) and Jeray Terrell (right) having a casual conversation during a break.

Aziza Wright, Staff Writer

The seniors are in the process of finishing their last year at King/Drew. They have completed four years of academics and will finally be graduating on June 3rd at 9:00 am at the Stubhub Center.

Overall, the seniors are relieved to be graduating from King/Drew, closing this chapter of their lives, and beginning a new one. Ricardo Govea, a K/D senior who will be attending UCLA in the fall, says he is excited to go to college, but will miss high school and some of his favorite teachers such as Dr. Graeber, Mrs. Golden, and Mrs. Bochande. He also says he will miss some of his friends, being that he unexpectedly bonded with  several people at King/Drew. Ricardo added, “There are weird people here just like me and that’s cool. You find your people really easily here, which makes me feel more at home.” When asked if he has any siblings at King/Drew, he confirmed that he has a brother who is currently in K/D’s sophomore class. Though he and his brother will not be attending school together in the fall, he says that he does not dread the separation because he will be attending college locally and will be able to keep tabs on his brother. When asked if he is glad that he decided to attend King/Drew, he hesitated before replying, “Yeah sure. Well, yes! Academics are important to me and this school provided those academics for me.” He also said that it is a possibility that he could have had a similar experience at another school, but that King/Drew definitely provided the rigor that few high schools offer. Finally, when asked if he was going to come back and visit, he stated that he would miss his favorite teachers and would stop in the college office as frequently as possible in the future, but that overall he will not miss King/Drew.

Mynor Borjas, a senior who will be attending UC San Diego in the fall, says that graduating from King/ Drew is truly a bittersweet experience, but that he is looking forward to the adventure that attending college provides. He says that he wants to travel abroad and really get involved in the school, similarly to what he feels he accomplished at King/Drew. That is the sweet part of his K/D experience, but the bitter aspect is not being able to see his close friends anymore. He says, “It’s one thing to see your friends every day, so to not be able to see your friends everyday but only talk to them once in a while and see them every so often will be difficult.”

Senior Jeray Terrell, on the other hand, has a very different outlook on leaving King/Drew. He says that he will not miss anyone at all, referencing his tendency to forget people in their absence and stating that this will mostly likely be the case once he graduates from K/D. However, he is extremely excited to be attending Cal State Long Beach in the fall.

Overall, the Class of 2015 K/D seniors have had a long, hard climb to graduation. Their experience has been filled with ups and downs, stressful days and nights, all-nighters, successes and failures, and magnificent triumphs, but the strong have survived and will be able to walk the stage on June 3rd. It has been fun at King/Drew, but it is now time to fly the coop like the Eagles they are.

• The Tread to the Final Floor of Academics

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel