The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

The End to a New Beginning

Four of King/Drew's 2015-2016 seniors.

Four of King/Drew's 2015-2016 seniors.

Esmeralda Carrera, Assistant Editor in Chief

Four years ago the Class of 2016 came into King/Drew as freshman. Some struggled to adapt to the new environment while others were excited to start their high school experience. Three years have been completed and they have reached their senior year, but is prom and graduation what senior year is all about?

On August 18, 2015, seniors waited anxiously to receive their schedule. With just the first glance students determined whether they liked their classes or if they would have to meet with the counselor to change it. Some students decided to challenge themselves and take up to five AP classes while others decided not to risk their senior year.

When students think about their last year in high school the first things that come to mind are prom, graduation, and other senior activities. Although this is part of what twelfth grade includes, these things only make up about two weeks out of nine months in the school year. During this last year students must earn good grades and pass all their classes in order to graduate. Those who are interested in a four year college must begin preparing to take the SAT, ACT, or maybe even both. When asked what he was not looking forward to this year, Royer Elvir said, “stressing over college applications.” The step most people dread is going through the college application process and awaiting their response. Students must also apply for financial aid and finally decide on what college they will be attending.

Alejandra Diaz, one of King/Drew’s seniors, said “I think that being a senior this year is the beginning of our new chapters. Even though it is going to be stressful and all, it is preparing us for life.”

Senior year seems like a stressful journey, but at the end everyones’ hard work will pay off. Before you know it, your worries will no longer be what college you will be attending, but what you will be wearing to prom or who your date will be. Soon you will go from high school seniors to college freshman. Good luck Class of 2016!

• The End to a New Beginning

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• The End to a New Beginning

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• The End to a New Beginning

News

#FreeKesha

• The End to a New Beginning

News

Prison break in Orange County

• The End to a New Beginning

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• The End to a New Beginning

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• The End to a New Beginning

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• The End to a New Beginning

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• The End to a New Beginning

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• The End to a New Beginning

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

The End to a New Beginning