The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Class of 2016: Walking Down Memory Lane

Karina Garcia, Staff Writer

The class of 2016 has been anticipating becoming seniors for so long, and now that it is finally here, seniors have been feeling all sorts of emotions: happiness, excitement, nervousness, and nostalgia. Many seniors at the moment are focused on passing their final classes as well as applying for college. Was King/Drew what they expected when they arrived? Did this school fulfill their expectations for a high school experience? Let’s find out!

“I expected it to be almost like High School Musical,” said Amilcar Gonzalez-Guzman (senior).

Now, King/Drew is no High School Musical, but many people expected high school to be like what they saw on TV shows or like the famous John Hughes movies from the 80s. For many, reality hit when they started King/Drew. King/Drew was either everything they expected high school to be like, or completely different from what they expected.

Despite everyone having different expectations for King/Drew, all of the seniors have had really good moments which made their high school experience a little better. For some seniors, their greatest moments have been based upon their academic work. For example, Luisa “Michelle” Silva(senior) stated that her greatest moment at King/Drew was when she received straight A’s for the first time during her junior year. For others, their greatest moments were with their friends. Liliana Vasquez(senior) said, “My favorite moment was karaoke night where a whole bunch of students got to hang out. It was overall a very fun day.” Along with the best moments these seniors have had, some also had pretty bad moments. For many, their worst moment was when they failed a class or test.

Finally after hearing these seniors’ stories and highlights, the big question was asked, “If you could go back and change anything about your high school experience, what would you change?” The majority of the seniors said, “I would not procrastinate so much” or “ I would focus more.” But the most interesting responses came from Amy Torres who said, “I would expose myself more socially and make more friends,” and Luisa “Michelle” Silva who stated, “I would have made more friends and not be so judgmental towards others.”

The class of 2016 has had an overall great high school experience, and although many of them expected high school to be a little different, it can be deduced that either way they were satisfied with their experience and would not change anything major about it.

• Class of 2016: Walking Down Memory Lane

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Class of 2016: Walking Down Memory Lane