The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

King/Drew students, Tiffany Galloway and Nathalie Navarette, using chromebooks during class.

Uwayemwen Sarah Omorogieva, Staff Writer

On October 7, 2015 King/Drew students gathered in the gym for an assembly where the vice principal, Dr.Karuza, and an LA officer, Officer Wright, spoke on the new technological advancement at King/Drew.

This school year each and every King/Drew student will be receiving Chromebook laptops. Students have been anticipating this very moment since last year when there was a failed promise of receiving iPads. However, this time the Chromebooks are looking pretty serious as opposed to the iPads, and the time to receive them is just around the corner.

Maudene Rojas, King/Drew senior student commented, “The Chromebooks will be really cool to use and it will be very useful for everyone. It will help students to get online assignments done quicker. The students who usually have to go to the library to get their work done will not have to do that anymore because now they have a Chromebook to take home.”

King/Drew students are getting a huge advantage with this major opportunity. King/Drew Magnet High School is one out of eighty schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District(LAUSD) to receive electronic devices, such as the Chromebooks, for each of their students.

This Chromebook opportunity is a way to prepare students for college in which many of the assignments given are done online. It also helps students become more skilled in technology; being that our world is becoming so technologically advanced and inclined.

An officer of LA County, Officer Wright, came to the assembly to explain the importance and severity of students receiving Chromebooks. Officer Wright taught students how to be safe when walking out in public with the Chromebooks as well as what actions to take if anything was to happen to the students when carrying the Chromebooks in public. Students asked her a series of questions they had concerning the Chromebooks.

Students will all receive a case in order to keep their Chromebooks safe.

Students who chose not to take home these devices and selected “opt-out” on their form have alternative choices in which they will still be able to use a Chromebook. Those students will have to check out a Chromebook every morning from the library and check them back into the library after school to return them back. Those who chose not to take the device home will not be permitted to take their Chromebook off of school campus grounds.

image1

Usually students are not permitted to use electronic devices during school but the Chromebooks will propose a change to that rule. Students are allowed to use their Chromebooks during school hours, including nutrition and lunch. If students choose not to use the Chromebooks and would like to use their own iPad or laptop, it must be pre-approved by an administrator. However, other electronic devices are still not allowed during school hours.

King/Drew students, as you are in preparation to receive the Chromebooks here are some important things to know and remember:

1.) Make sure as you commute you are safe with the device away and in your backpack.

2.) If someone tries to approach you for your device, give it up immediately and call 911. When you reach school let an administrator at King/Drew know about what happened.

3.) If your device is lost, report it to the police, principal, and/or a teacher.

4.) If your Chromebook is lost and you wish to receive another one you need to have a police report and a teacher’s note agreeing that you should receive another device.

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

News

#FreeKesha

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Guess Who’s Getting Chromebooks?!