The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Transfer later, or go straight to a University?

Danieka Younger, Staff Writer

If you’re planning for the future, college is more than likely on your mind. You’re probably wondering what’s the right route to take; should you go to a junior college and transfer later, or go straight to a university? Well, there is no right or wrong decision. There are pros and cons of going to a junior college, as well as a four year university. The ultimate decision should be what you feel is more suitable for you as far as work ethics, personality, and what you hope to experience during college.

According to scholarships.com, the pros of going to a junior college are the low cost of tuition, having a flexible schedule, the opportunity to explore many opportunities, small classes, qualified professors, and the option to transfer to a university after one or two years. The cons are uninvolved students and lack campus life. The pros of going to a four year university are a dynamic atmosphere, on-campus employment, flexibility, and challenging courses. The cons include availability of classes, accessibility of professors, and large classes.

People are advised to take the junior college route when they are unsure of what career they want to pursue. This is because every university has certain subjects, majors, clubs, and activities which they’re known for. If you attend without knowing what you really want to do, those attributes aren’t guaranteed to benefit you in the long run. A junior college gives you that time and opportunity to continue to figure yourself out before leaping into the real world.

Simone Brown, a freshman at Hampton University and future psychology major, had no doubts about going straight to a university. “A university is the best place to start if you already know what you want to study, and you want to be more interactive and involved with people,” Brown said.

Ashley Villa, a 2013 sociology and human studies graduate from UC San Diego went to Santa Monica college and transferred after two years. “Starting at a community college was probably the best thing I could have done. I was given time to manage my studies and work to prepare for my future years at UCSD,” Villa said.

A freshman at Mt. San Jacinto Community College said, “Going to a community college first allows me the time to figure myself out without the excess pressure, while still getting the education that I need. I plan to transfer to UC Davis after my two years here.”

If you want to save money, a community college is probably your best bet. If you want to go straight to a university but finance is an issue, look into scholarships and grants. If you can’t fathom the idea of missing out on the campus/ dorm life, you might want to start looking at universities, and their requirements, deadlines, etc. Whatever you decide, the decision is yours.

• Transfer later, or go straight to a University?

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel