The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Ready for College?

Start on your personal statements !

© heckgrammar.co.uk

Start on your personal statements !

Imani Johnson, Staff Writer

Seniors, it is college application season, and it is time to get those personal statements going!

Personal statements can be challenging for some of us, because it is hard to brag about ourselves and tap into our real personal issues. For others, it is easy to talk about their experiences and share their strengths and weaknesses. The biggest challenge for seniors with the personal statement is making their stories unique, and finding that one thing or two is what puts applicants above everyone else.

Finding that thing that distinguishes you from other applicants will surely put you over the top. A common belief among students is that they do not have anything special going on in their lives or that they do not have anything interesting enough to write about; however, this is a myth that has been disproven time and time again. If you just sit down and reflect on your past accomplishments and experiences, then you will find that you are much more interesting than you think. What you may find as a norm, others might see as a unique quality.

K/D senior Camren Hudson says, “I believe that a personal statement has both good and bad things about it. The bad part is you have to focus on schoolwork and personal, and the good part is that you get to express who you are and demonstrate different qualities about you that people don’t know about you.”

Many seniors agree with Camren in his belief that the personal statement is hard work. Senior Domonique O. says, “One thousand words is not enough to state how personal our lives are.”

However you see it, nothing in life that is worth doing comes easy. If you want to get into the best schools, you have to do the work that comes with it. So seniors, you had better get started with those personal statements. Get them out of the way as soon as possible, because if you procrastinate, you will not have time to give your best effort and submit your best work.

• Ready for College?

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Ready for College?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Ready for College?

News

#FreeKesha

• Ready for College?

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Ready for College?

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Ready for College?

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Ready for College?

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Ready for College?

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Ready for College?

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Ready for College?

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Ready for College?