The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

College Presentation: Is UC Riverside the Place to Be?

© soba.ucr.edu

© soba.ucr.edu

The Palm Desert Center at the University of California, Riverside (UCR)

Herby Tuala Jr., Staff Writer

Several King/Drew students, or seniors in particular, were handpicked by the College Office to attend a college presentation given by a representative from the University of California, Riverside on October 1, 2014 in King/Drew’s Lecture Hall.

UC Riverside is one of the ten schools of the UC system and is among the nine UC schools that has an undergraduate program. UC Riverside is the only UC school located in Inland Southern California and was ranked among the 50 Most Diverse Colleges by www.bestcolleges.com. UCR has a current enrollment of 21,000 students, making it a “not too big and not too small” university.

During the presentation, students were informed about different aspects of the UC system, particularly its admissions process. The main concern of King/Drew seniors was the Grade Point Average eligibility requirement. Jennifer Garcia, an AP student and Senior Ambassador, was among the select group of students chosen to attend the college presentation. She was quite pleased with the eligibility requirement for UC schools.

“When the representative said that UCs do not only take students with 4.0 GPAs and higher, it helped me realize that I have a chance to get into college with my GPA.” Garcia also said that this was the most important thing that she had learned at this presentation.

The UCR representative, J. Lopez, also informed students of what makes UCR a unique university. He explained that the school is ethnically diverse, medium  in campus size, and equipped with a newly built Recreation Center. The representative also pointed out how to narrow down searches when applying to college. He stressed the importance of student research on colleges and universities that best fit the students’ individual needs.

When Jennifer Garcia was asked what she looks for in a college, she replied, “When choosing a college I look for my major, of course, because I wouldn’t want to go to a college that doesn’t have it.” Garcia reiterates a point the representative made during the presentation that “tuition is important. Why go to a university where you can’t afford to pay it off?” This reinforces the idea that it is more important to go to a college that fits one’s needs rather than accumulate debt attending a prestigious college that does not offer one’s particular interests. “I also look at the variety of clubs each school has,” added Garcia.

College research is also important because students want to be able to enjoy their college years, which involves sports and club organizations in addition to academics. Jennifer states: “I would say that I would look for a football team at the universities too, because I didn’t have a chance to experience that in high school but that is not of much concern.”

After the presentation, Garcia was asked whether it made her consider applying to UCR. She replied, “I would consider a UC because that would make me happy to get in, but I would also consider UCR because it has my major.” “The campus seems amazing,” she added.

The effect that the UCR presentation had on select students should be a motivation for other seniors and juniors invited to college presentations. Since seniors are in the process of applying for college, any resource that will help them become a competitive applicant should be used. The UC Riverside presentation was one of many presentations seniors have attended and will be selected to attend in the future. Some of these presentations include Columbia University, University of Southern California (USC) and UC Berkeley. It is important that students attend these college presentations because students will learn more about the college process, what to look for in a college, and will receive tips on how to become an effective college applicant.

To all the seniors applying for college, do not miss out on these opportunities.

• College Presentation: Is UC Riverside the Place to Be?

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel