The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Grammy Awards 2015

Robert Gauthier

Robert Gauthier

Sam Smith accepting his award for "Best New Artist"

Matthew Whitaker, Sports Editor

On January 8th, music had its biggest award night with the 57th annual Grammy Awards. A Grammy is an accolade by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States and is used to reward the achievements of artists in the music industry and their success. This Grammy Award show was televised on CBS and was held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The academy gives out awards for Best New Artist, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Pop Vocal Album, Rap Song of the Year, R&B Song of the Year, Country Song of the Year, and Country Album of the Year. Although other genres of music are recognized only some of the prominent  awards are shown on television because of time. At the awards show, some of the industry’s best perform popular songs and songs to deplete current world events.

Sam Smith, a new artist, was the Grammy’s top winner this year. He won 4 awards at his first Grammy. He took home awards for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist, and Pop Vocal Album. Smith won Song of the Year for “Stay for me.” Upon accepting this honor he said, “I want to thank the man who this record is about, who I fell in love with last year. Thank you so much for breaking my heart because you got me four Grammys.”

Beyoncé won Best R&B Song for “Drunk in Love” featuring Jay Z. This award won Beyoncé her 20th win out of 53 nominations. Album of the Year went to Beck for his Album “Morning Phase.” Some critics think Beyoncé should have won the award for her self-entitled album “Beyoncé.” When the winner was announced, Kanye West went on stage mocking his last on-stage stunt during Taylor Swift’s Album of the Year acceptance during which he also believed Beyoncé should have won.

Kanye West performed for the first time in six years. Madonna also performed “Living for Love.” The show closed with Beyoncé performing “Take My Hand Precious Lord” by Mahalia Jackson and with John Legend and Common performing the song “Glory” from the movie Salem. The song is nominated for an Oscar.

• Grammy Awards 2015

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Grammy Awards 2015

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Grammy Awards 2015

News

#FreeKesha

• Grammy Awards 2015

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Grammy Awards 2015

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Grammy Awards 2015

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Grammy Awards 2015

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Grammy Awards 2015

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Grammy Awards 2015

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Grammy Awards 2015

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Grammy Awards 2015