The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Review on The Wedding Ringer

The Wedding Ringer movie poster

Julia Miramontes, Staff Writer

The Wedding Ringer is a comedy directed by Jeremy Garelick and produced by Adam Fields. This film was released on January 16, 2015 starring Josh Gad, Kevin Hart, and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting.

This film starts off with Jimmy Callahan (Kevin Hart) giving his best man services for the groom who is a very lovable but socially awkward man who doesn’t have friends to be his best men for his wedding. As Doug Harris (Josh) a successful tax attorney and his fiancé Gretchen Palmer (Kaley) are planning for their wedding day, Doug becomes frantic searching for a best man.

He faints and is referred to Jimmy’s company The Best Man Inc. by Otis, where he meets Jimmy Callahan (Kevin Hart). Doug meets Jimmy and asks him to pull off a “Golden Tux” (seven groomsmen) to match with Gretchen’s bridesmaids which has never been done before. Jimmy says no, claiming he doesn’t need the pressure and it would be too much work. After hearing Doug’s plan Jimmy agrees to be his best man along with a payment of $50,000 and all expenses paid. When going over the format for the wedding Doug tells Jimmy his name is Bic Mitchum.

Later on in the film before Jimmy gets his best man speech prepared and memorized Doug stops it and reveals he and Gretchen aren’t married since “Bic” is not a real priest. He also tells everyone that his groomsmen are fake. Jimmy, Doug, and the groomsmen try to escape. Doug pays Jimmy his $50,000 like he promised and they accept each other’s friendship. As they leave Jimmy has an idea. On the day of the wedding, the family priest cancels and is replaced by Jimmy’s old Catholic school principal. Doug comes up with an idea where Reggie (another groomsmen) kidnaps the priest and Jimmy officiates the wedding as Bic Mitchum. The wedding reception is still on. Jimmy passes Gretchen and congratulates her on the wedding. Everything starts to go down hill when Gretchen claims that the wedding is a disaster because her grandmother has third degree burns, her dad’s knee is blown out, the food is bad, the bridesmaids are not attracted to the groomsmen, the zipper on her dress is broken and she isn’t marrying the man she loves. Things start to get intense when Gretchen confesses to Jimmy she only married Doug because she was tired of having bad relationships and he can easily provide the lavish lifestyle she wants. Doug overhears this in the bathroom and tells Jimmy that he can’t go through with the rest of the wedding. Jimmy dismisses Doug’s ideas and makes the best man speech.

When students at King/Drew were asked if they’ve seen The Wedding Ringer, Nathalie Solis said, “It was comedy, it had her constantly laughing.” When asked what rate would she give this film she replied “A nine, I would really recommend this movie if you’re trying to have a good laugh.” But not every one thought this film was that funny. Esmeralda Cuevas said, “This movie wasn’t that funny.” Esmeralda claims “It made me laugh a bit but, not as much as I expected, since Kevin Hart was in the film, I really expected so much more from this film. If I were to give it a rate it would have to be a seven. ”

The Wedding Ringer over all was a good film it was such a comedy. I really recommend people to go watch it.

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

News

#FreeKesha

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Review on The Wedding Ringer

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Review on The Wedding Ringer