The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

Lucious Lyon and Cookie Lyon, two of the leading roles in Empire. (photo credit: 2015 Fox Empire Show)

Rikki Tabb, Staff Writer

Empire is a hit television show on Fox that is in its second season. Empire premieres Wednesday nights at 9 pm. The series is based on a family oriented music label that is slowly taking over the music industry. The show follows the drama of a music legend named Lucious Lyon and his family. Two of his sons, Hakeem and Jamal Lyon are rising music stars and his ex-wife, Cookie, is currently trying to take down his empire. His other son, Andre Lyon, is the business mogul.

The first season was very successful based on the ratings. Many people were captured by two of the most amazing actors that play the leading roles: Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson. Terrence Howard, who plays the role of Lucious Lyon, is known for his roles in Hustle and Flow, Iron Man, The Butler, and The Best Man Holiday. Taraji P. Henson, who plays the role of Cookie Lyon, is known for her roles in Think Like A Man, Hustle and Flow, Baby Boy, and No Good Deed.

Now that the second season has begun, there has been reports that ratings have significantly decreased. There is speculations that the ratings decreased because of the number of celebrity appearances. Many viewers dislike that many celebrities are appearing in the show. They feel as though celebrities are taking away from the freshness of the show.

Stephanie Estrada, a 12th grade student, was interviewed and asked her take on the new season of Empire. Stephanie responded by saying, “I feel like there is a lot of realistic things going on and there is a lot of dramatic scenes.” She was also asked if this season was keeping her attention and commented by saying, “It is still keeping my attention and I see that there is more exciting stuff coming for the following episodes.”

As you can see some fans are still loyal to the show Empire and are still enjoying this show.

Do you watch Empire? What is your take on the second season? Comment below.

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

News

#FreeKesha

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Are Empire’s Ratings Decreasing?