The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Legalization of Assisted Suicide for Terminally ill Patients

Should terminally ill patients be able to decided if they want to continue living or end their life quicker?
(Photo credit: Doug Mataconis)

Should terminally ill patients be able to decided if they want to continue living or end their life quicker? (Photo credit: Doug Mataconis)

Breezhon Ashley

On Monday October 5, 2015 California became the fifth state to allow “assisted suicide” for terminally ill people, after Governor Brown signed the controversial Assisted-Suicide Bill. Assisted suicide allows physicians to prescribe doses of lethal drugs to terminally ill patients who wish and desire to speed up their deaths.

Governor Brown mentioned that his decision to sign the controversial Assisted Suicide Bill was based off of personal reflection. Brown stated in a written letter that, “In the end I was left to reflect on what I would want in the face of my own death.”

The rules for assisted suicide is that the patient has to be terminally ill, they have to be self-injected with the poison, and the patient must be accompanied by two witnesses including their physician.

When asked upon the issue King/Drew Spanish teacher Mrs. Hernandez mentioned that from her understanding “assisted suicide” is the right to end one’s own life, if and only one is terminally ill. When Ms. Hernandez was asked about her views on the assisted suicide controversial being passed she stated, “I personally do not agree with anyone taking their own life. People should die of natural causes.”

Tenth grade K/D student Frank Collins was very direct when asked about his opinion on the bill being passed. Collins stated “It is not my choice, they can do whatever they want.” Collins also mentioned “I do not like it but there is not much I can do, as long as the patient is clear on what they are getting themselves into.”

Guidelines for assisted suicide for patients of the state of California are as followed: they have to definitely be a resident of California, minimum age requirement is 18 years old, their number of months until death has to be 6 or less, and they are required to have two oral request (15 days apart from each other) from their physician as well as one written request.

The physicians protocol are as follows: the attending physician must be licensed in the same state as the patient, the physician must include a diagnosis for terminal illness, assure that the patient has six months or less to live, and if the physician determines that the patient’s judgement is impaired, the patient must be referred for a psychological examination.

This new bill passed by Governor Brown on Assisted Suicide for Terminally ill Patients was passes to help terminally ill patients’ death not to be as painful. However, not all people agree with this new bill but at the end of the day the bill was made for terminally ill patients and they have the right to decide what they want for themselves.

• Legalization of Assisted Suicide for Terminally ill Patients

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel