The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

The Syrian Crisis

A young Syrian boy in Turkey.
Credit: Carpio

A young Syrian boy in Turkey. Credit: Carpio

Cameron George, Staff Writer

A civil war is currently taking place in Syria that has taken over 200,000 lives and displaced over 11 million Syrian refugees. The crisis in Syria has just recently made American news. However, the people of Syria have been under attack for over four years. In March of 2011, the people began to peacefully protest and rebel against their government. The government quickly began its violent and forceful crackdown on the people. Rebels and other civilians formed a self armed military and went into civil war with their regime.

Millions of people are attempting to flee Syria in hopes of finding some type of relief. Most of the refugees are fleeing to Jordan, Lebanon, and parts of Iraq; the amount of people pouring in has certainly started to weigh these countries. The United Nations estimated that over 7.2 million people are displaced and in need of housing and medical care.

Due to the large amount of people fleeing Syria, there has also been a lack of transportation being provided and families are becoming increasingly desperate. Some families are so desperate to save themselves and their children, they are putting their children on makeshift boats and sending them out to sea in hopes of having them arrive on the Turkish coast. The sea in which they cross is the Mediterranean Sea, known to be extremely risky and dangerous.

A three year old boy named Aylan was recently found lifeless on a Turkish beach fleeing from Syria. His parents expected the young boy to arrive at a Sanctuary in Europe, but the water currents got the best of the boat. Aylan’s mother and five year old brother were among the many people found dead in an attempt to flee war torn Syria.

As Syria continues to go at war with itself, the people of the nation are fleeing in terror and in hope of a better life for themselves as well as for their families. The state of Syria clearly depicts the many issues the world and the people face on a daily basis. Although we face our own set of problems, there are places in the world in which we can make an effort to help even in the slightest way.

You can donate here at the UN Refugee Agency : donate.unhcr.org/international/syria

• The Syrian Crisis

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• The Syrian Crisis

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• The Syrian Crisis

News

#FreeKesha

• The Syrian Crisis

News

Prison break in Orange County

• The Syrian Crisis

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• The Syrian Crisis

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• The Syrian Crisis

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• The Syrian Crisis

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• The Syrian Crisis

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• The Syrian Crisis

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

The Syrian Crisis