The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

Photo Credit: Poynter.org

Photo Credit: Poynter.org

Cameron George, Staff Writer

In February of 2012 the entire world was outraged when 17-year old Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in Florida by neighborhood watchman, George Zimmerman. An article written by Kerry Sanders and Erik Ortiz claims that Zimmerman’s motive for killing Trayvon Martin was that Zimmerman “did not recognize him,” but it is obvious that Trayvon Martin was gunned down because he was an African-American male wearing a hoodie in a predominantly white neighborhood.

Trayvon Martin was killed due to America’s long standing racial discrimination, prejudice views, and white privilege. In Zimmerman’s 2013 trial he had no remorse for the pain he had caused the Martin family and was later found not guilty of second-degree murder; and to add salt to the great wound he has caused, George Zimmerman is now auctioning off the gun he used to take an innocent young man’s life.

George Zimmerman plans to sell the gun on GunBroker.com with the starting bid at $5,000 claiming that the gun is a piece of “American history.” It is true that the gun is a part of American history, it is a part of white supremacy and the constant rule that the white race has over the American judicial system and its lack of progression over the past 240 years. It has always been very obvious  to every person of color that the white race dominates the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, but in the 20th century many of us hoped that an obvious murderer would face conviction and justice would be served upholding one if the nation’s many mottos: “Justice for ALL.”

A portion of the money George Zimmerman may, or may not receive will go towards “fight BLM violence against law enforcement officers” as well as to destroy Hilary Clinton’s anti-firearm plan. Zimmerman’s plan forces many of us to recognize one of America’s greatest problems, gun violence. Trayvon Martin is one of the many innocent people killed due to gun violence and people having access to guns that they never should have been able to purchase and get their hands on.

More than 30,000 people are killed every year in the United States due to gun violence. More than 30 people are shot and killed each day. Half of them are between the ages of 18 and 35, a third of them are under the age of 18 and homicide is the leading cause of death among 15 and 24 year olds. Less than 50 people die each year due to gun violence in Japan and compared to other nations around the world America is a rising blood bath due to senseless gun violence and lack of restrictions on gun laws.

As the presidential election is approaching American citizens should really take time to consider which candidate has the best solution to our ever growing gun violence issue. We must all remember that just because it is not us today it could be us another day running from the barrel of a gun, it could be someone we know and love one day. America is obviously flawed but we always have the power to change the things we do not approve of, and on election day registered voter must get out and go vote, vote for the person who is willing to save lives and stop senseless killing across our nation.

• George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Opinions

Stand With Planned Parenthood