The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Student Profile: Francisco “Jason” Rodriguez

Zulema Suarez

Francisco "Jason" Rodriguez

Zulema Suarez, Sports Editor

Everyone in school knows Francisco Rodriguez, better known as “Jason” (his middle name).  All King/Drew students know he’s the athletic “cool guy” on campus that everyone, especially the girls, wants to be friends with.  However, no one knows how he deals with the struggle of being an athlete balancing school work, sports, practices, and everyday social life. Is it possible he wouldn’t have chosen this life for himself if he had the chance to do it all over again?

Jason was born on April 9, 1997.  He is currently a junior, and he is doing well for himself.  He has just about everything any high school student could dream of: popularity, good looks, and athletic ability while maintaining a grade point average above a 3.0.  Jason plays Boys Volleyball, Cross Country, and he practices with the Girl’s Volleyball team any chance he gets. To begin with, he says he got started doing volleyball in 9th grade just to have fun and be with his friends. This same reason was given for why he went out for Cross Country in 10th grade, so it’s no secret that he enjoys having fun with his friends and getting to spend time with them.

However, does this social preference interfere with his school work or athletic life? I think not! Jason says, “My friends and my girlfiend do interfere with my academics and athletic life sometimes, but in a positive way. They give me the support and encouragement I need to do better, especially my girlfriend. She helps out a lot, and she’s very encouraging.”  He also mentions that he ended up staying in both sports because he realized he enjoyed playing and competing in them.

Is Jason’s boasting athletic life going to come to an end when he gets to college? Sounds like it.  He says, “It’s more just for fun. It isn’t serious enough to keep it going for another 5 years.”  When asked the question of difficulty in balancing social life and academics, he says, “It is pretty tough. Time managment is definitely required to succeed.”  However, Jason also states that with the love and support from his family and friends, he can make it through anything.  “They’ve never tried to discourage me from anything I’ve wanted to do. I only get undying support from them.”

Now the major question: If he could go back to change the pressure or stress gained in his high school years thus far, would he? Jason responds without the slightest hesitation, “Nope. It was all definitely worth it.”

It’s obvious that Jason is a good role model for any high school student, and it’s even better to know that he doesn’t regret one single minute of it.

• Student Profile: Francisco “Jason” Rodriguez

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel