The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Hard, Smart, and Together

Game+ball+for+home+games+
Game ball for home games

Game ball for home games

Game ball for home games

Toobenna Obi, Staff Writer

King/Drew Boy’s Varsity basketball is having one of its best seasons in years! There’s going to be a Home Playoff game! Starting the year off on a 7-game winning streak, the Golden Eagles are ready to fly!The boys varsity team, though short handed at the time, brought home the championship trophy of the Harbor Prep Thanksgiving Bash, according to Maxpreps. The boys continued on there hot streak into the very next tournament and made it to the championship game of the Belmont Zone of Choice tournament, but ended up being the runner-ups.

As the season progressed the competition got tougher. The Varsity Golden Eagles were placed into the Artesia high school tournament. At the tournament, the team received a much needed rude awakening, going 1-3. After reevaluation and correction of the mistakes at the Artesia Tournament, the Varsity boys were placed in a holiday showcase at Long Beach City College. They faced well known Rancho Dominguez Prep. By playing “Hard, Smart, and Together” the Golden Eagles came away with the W, in spite of Rancho’s 7’0 tall center.

After more tournaments and neutral site games,  the Varsity Eagles continued to strive maintaining a winning record throughout. As the Marine League games began, the team was determined to make a name for themselves in spite of being in a conference with all Division 1 high school teams. The Eagles struggled in the first round of league going 2-4. However, once again the Eagles bounced back and finished the second round of league with a record of 4-2, therefore having a .500 win percentage, 6-6.

With the season just about wrapped up, the Varsity Golden Eagles are far from finished. The last time the boys basketball team at King/Drew one a championship was in 2004, ten years ago. However, this year’s team is, “capable of bringing home another banner!” says Junior Guard Josiah Breda-Nixon. The team is moving forward with senior leadership of Jervon Aldridge and Toobenna Obi, along with the outstanding teaching from King/Drew alum Coach Durrah, and most importantly the Hard Work and Dedication from every person apart of the program. The team believes a Division 3 City Championship is attainable as long as they continue to play “Hard, Smart, and Together.”

• Hard, Smart, and Together

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Hard, Smart, and Together

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Hard, Smart, and Together

News

#FreeKesha

• Hard, Smart, and Together

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Hard, Smart, and Together

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Hard, Smart, and Together

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Hard, Smart, and Together

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Hard, Smart, and Together

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Hard, Smart, and Together

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Hard, Smart, and Together

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Hard, Smart, and Together