The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

KD Stock photo

KD Stock photo

The Boys' Basketball Team

Naadirah Rahmaan, Editor In Chief of The Yearbook

Since the Class of 2015 has arrived at King/Drew Magnet High School, a few sports teams have been stating that the school only promotes the boys’ basketball team because it is considered the most entertaining sports team at the school.

There are several conditions that are not considered appropriate for sports to have to play in. One important fact is that the girls’ softball team has to walk to a field that is not fully qualified as nice. It is a public field that anyone can play on and destroy. The softball team is forced to play on a field that is considered embarrassing.

This can certainly be viewed as favoritism from the administration. As a result, several other K/D sports teams that share the same season as the basketball teams were referred to since they would be negatively affected by sharing the same season. The girls’ varsity volleyball team had a lot to say about the way the sports teams are ran. Lauryn Merriweather expressed, “We don’t get enough support from administration because they don’t put an equal amount of promotion and excitement into other sports. Only the boys’ basketball team gets that attention.”

Volleyball was not the only sport that had something to say about the boys’ basketball team. Tyana Brown, who is a part of the cheer team, felt no anger toward administration, but just had a few questions that were left unanswered. One of her questions was, “Why don’t they promote every sport equally because I don’t know a lot about the other sports teams?” She has been at King/Drew for 4 years and still has questions about the athletic department. That is not okay at all because it means there are other students who have questions that should be answered by now.

The boys’ basketball team objected to the beliefs from the other sports teams. Khani Rice, who has been on the team for 3 years, had much to say about administration and how they do not support any of the teams unequally. He also commented on the way the school is set up. “The school is 70% girls and girls would rather support boys than other girls. That’s the reason we get a lot of attention. It’s not favoritism. It’s simply who the school chooses to watch.”

His statement really explains a lot about the way King/Drew is set up. People do not go for the sports teams as a whole. Instead, they would rather support the opposite sex, which can be affecting the mindset of the other sport teams, causing them to think that favoritism is the leading factor when it’s really a different issue altogether.

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

News

#FreeKesha

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Favoritism is Not Alive at King Drew