The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Tom Brady and the Patriots Back On TOP

Tom Brady, 2014
Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

Tom Brady, 2014 Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

Greg M. Cooper

Greg M. Cooper

Cameron George, Assistant Director of Senior Memoir

There has recently been a lot of controversy and whirlwind surrounding the New England Patriots and their star quarterback, Tom Brady. Earlier this year Brady and the New England locker room staff were accused of deflating footballs used during the AFC Championship game on January 18,2015 between the Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts; a game in which New England won 45-7. Just a week later the NFL announced their decision to investigate the allegations of the deflated balls.

Many might ask, why does it matter that the balls were deflated? By deflating the balls, New England would have an advantage in the rainy conditions that they played in. The balls would be both easier to catch and throw, giving the Patriots the upper-hand. Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick, and Brady all denied these allegations, defending their names and the team.

By May 6th the NFL came to the conclusion that the New England staff had “most likely” deflated the balls and due to Brady’s lack of cooperation, such as turning his cellphone over to the NFL, he was punished and suspended for four regular season games. With the 2015-2016 season approaching, the Patriots and their fans were devastated. Those 4 games without their star quarterback could have very well costed them their playoff seat and opportunity at another SuperBowl. What were they going to do?

Immediately after the announcement of his suspension Tom Brady filed an appeal. Although Brady filed an appeal the team did not, so they agreed to pay their fine of 1 million dollars. This was mostly chosen because it would both stir the pot and take away from the attention that needed to be paid to the upcoming season. After 10 hours of testimony and self-negotiation, Judge Berman decided that if NFL commissioner Goodwell and Brady would not come to an agreement he would rule on the case.

On September 3, 2015 Judge Berman nullified Brady’s four-game suspension. Berman’s decision was based on the NFL’s failure to inform Brady in advance of his disciplinary consequences.

To much relief for Brady, the Patriots, and their fans, Tom Brady would play in the week one opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Many people expected Brady to play a little off of his game due to all the stress and distractions, but to the surprise of many Brady prevailed. Throwing four touchdown passes and leading the Patriots to their first win of the season over the Steelers (28-21). This was a great start to the season, you can say that Brady and the Patriots are back on top.

• Tom Brady and the Patriots Back On TOP

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Tom Brady and the Patriots Back On TOP