The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

The Senior Struggle

Sam Ward, USA TODAY

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer

We have now entered the second semester and by now most seniors have submitted their college applications. To many this is a great relief as  we now simply wait until March when we start getting our acceptance letters. Yet what happens in the short time between January and March? Many seniors find themselves with much more free time but also burnt out because seniors are no longer balancing college applications with course loads. As such, seniors begin to develop Senioritis: the decreased motivation felt by students in their last years of school.

Though most seniors develop some form of Senioritis most of these cases can be very minor. Yet there are cases when students who were performing quite well throughout high school all of a sudden have their grades plummeting. When colleges send their acceptance letters in March students have until May 1st to decide which college they will attend. Yet at the end of the year all colleges require students to send their final transcripts; on which the student’s poor grades will be reflected. At this point, colleges may decide to rescind their acceptances.

In one instance Dr. Graeber, King/Drew’s AP Government Teacher, recalls having “ two students, accepted to UC Santa Cruz and UC Riverside, but neither of them went to those schools. The student who was accepted to Riverside took three years to go through community college.” While those are the consequences of an extreme case of Senioritis, even the most minor cases can have a huge toll on seniors.

Liliana Diaz (Lily), a senior at King/Drew, advises: “You begin to lose yourself along the way. You forget how it is to study. You don’t want to make that college transition hard so that’s why I’m trying to stay on top of my grades as of right now.”

While it can be very easy to develop Senioritis, though treating it can be difficult. Lily Diaz suggests: “I feel you just have to find your motivation again and continue to encourage yourself… to keep going.” Whereas Dr. Graeber argues: “I don’t think there is a lot that can be done. I think teachers who teach seniors know that they have to keep pushing them harder.”

Although most seniors will contract Senioritis in one-way or another, we must remember to look ahead as we are nearly to the finish line. As Dr. Graeber advises: “Stay focused seniors!”

• The Senior Struggle

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• The Senior Struggle

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• The Senior Struggle

News

#FreeKesha

• The Senior Struggle

News

Prison break in Orange County

• The Senior Struggle

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• The Senior Struggle

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• The Senior Struggle

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• The Senior Struggle

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• The Senior Struggle

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• The Senior Struggle

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

The Senior Struggle