The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

King/Drew Seniors Share Their College Ambitions

Laina Washington

K/D senior April Pearce skims The Princeton Review's The Best 379 Colleges guide

Laina Washington, Assistant Editor-in-Chief of Golden Gazette

Though several students have received admission notices from colleges and universities, most King/Drew seniors are still in the process of bearing the anticipation that unnerves every senior who is eager to know their admission status for schools they have applied to. Despite the nerves and anticipation, many seniors have great expectations regarding their admission into the schools of their choice. Recently, several King/Drew students shared these choices in the excitement of discussing schools they hope to attend.

King/Drew senior Calvin Alfaro is among several students who hope to attend some of the most prestigious universities in California. When asked which school he would like to attend and why, Calvin stated, “I want to go to UCLA to major in business because I want to start my own business one day.”

Calvin is certainly not the only senior who has chosen a dream school with career aspirations in mind. Most seniors, including Stephania Batres and Tiwani Oseni, have also chosen schools in hopes of receiving an education that will surely prepare them for fulfilling a promising career in the future. Stephania states, “I want to go to Cal State Long Beach…I’m going to major in psychology.”

Like Stephania, Tiwani Oseni has consciously arrived at the decision of choosing schools that will allow her to receive quality training in her field of study. The ambitious senior states, “I want to go to any CSUs because mostly CSUs are the ones that offer Bachelors of Nursing…”

Though seniors decide which schools they would like to attend based on a specific career path, they also choose schools based on the tuition that schools require. Tuition is an important factor to keep in mind when applying to colleges, and several seniors have yielded to this reality in the process of finalizing the list of their choice schools. Stephania, for example, stated that her decision to apply to Cal State Long Beach was a better choice financially as well as academically. The majority of King/Drew seniors would certainly agree that tuition is almost as big a factor as choosing a major when applying to colleges.

Though most seniors have concentrated their efforts on applying to CSUs and UCs, several students still hope to attend private colleges. Zianya Moran is one of several K/D seniors who would be honored to attend a private school. Zianya states, “I would like to go to a private school because…even though they cost way more, they actually help you a lot more.” She expects private schools to offer the small class sizes and one-on-one assistance that she feels can hardly be obtained at most CSUs and UCs. She hopes to have access to all the help she needs in order to perform well in her field of study. When she was asked what field of study she had in mind, Zianya replied, “I’m still not sure…for my interest, I really like math, so hopefully something that has to do with math, like business. But as a personality, I’m really helpful and I’m there for others, so probably psychology…”

It is clear that King/Drew seniors have been thoughtfully analyzing their academic strengths, personality types and interests in order to arrive at wise decisions. Choosing the right school is the first step to achieving a fulfilling, successful college experience, and King/Drew’s seniors have clearly mastered this essential step.

• King/Drew Seniors Share Their College Ambitions

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel