The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Stand With Planned Parenthood

Stand with Planned Parenthood logo
Photo-credit: www.plannedparenthoodaction.org

Stand with Planned Parenthood logo Photo-credit: www.plannedparenthoodaction.org

Richard Montanez, Broadcast Director

Planned Parenthood is a nonprofit organization that does research as well as gives advice on contraception, family planning, and reproductive problems for both women and men. Recently, Planned Parenthood has been on the news due to people not being okay with the fact that they support abortion. Although most people can go on about how they are against Planned Parenthood, truth is most of them have no clue what Planned Parenthood actually is.

Some services that Planned Parenthood provides are: STD/STI testing and treatment, cancer screening and prevention, contraception services, information on sexual health, therapy, rape counseling, and abortion services. Although they do provide many amazing opportunities, people mainly seem to focus on the abortion part and bombard Planned Parenthood for it. Abortion is only 3% of Planned Parenthood’s overall work and they do not force abortion, they give people THE CHOICE to decide whether they want an abortion or not.

Without the free services Planned Parenthood provides: a yearly cost of birth control would average to be around $600 a year, the morning after pill would cost between $35 and $60 in addition to the STD/STI checking and treatment, condoms, cancer screening. Planned Parenthood offers these as well as other services for free. It not only is convenient financially, but it also makes the chances of people having safe sex and getting checked a higher possibility.

When asked what are her opinion upon Planned Parenthood, Jennifer Martinez, King/ Drew student responded, “I support Planned Parenthood completely, they provide great services and if there ever is a time when I need those services, it’s great to know that there’s an organization I can rely on.” For anyone who is against Planned Parenthood, they should look more into great beneficial free opportunities that Planned Parenthood provides which is extremely convenient for communities with lower incomes. Planned Parenthood offers people the chance to stay healthy and and take care of themselves. It would be selfish to try and take Planned Parenthood’s services away, or make someone feel bad about trying to be cautious of their health and choices.

The choices of humans are not a political punching bag, they are basic human rights. 

Planned Parenthood. Care. No Matter What.

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

News

#FreeKesha

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Stand With Planned Parenthood

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Stand With Planned Parenthood