The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

“Love wearin’ all black, you should see my closet” -Dej Loaf

"Got that all white when I'm feeling Godly."

@dejloaf (Instagram)

@dejloaf (Instagram)

Paris Stallworth, Co Editor-in-Chief of the Yearbook/Around the Quad Editor

First off, who is Dej Loaf?

Well, Dej Loaf is a female music artist who was born and raised on the east of Detroit, Michigan in the projects. Growing up there was crazy for her. She once stated in an interview with Noisey Vice, “I was raised in the projects, on the east side. It was crazy. And I was the type of kid that stayed to myself. I didn’t go out a lot or got involved in a lot of the bad stuff I could have gotten into. That’s why I do music, always writing a lot, stayed to myself a lot.”

Dej Loaf’s real name is Deja. She got her stage name because back when she was in high school, she used to wear Jordans like everyone else and got tired of it. As a result, she started wearing loafers. The name came from her fellow classmates who came up with “Dej” for Deja and “Loaf” for her new interest in loafers.

A lot of people discovered Dej Loaf when she dropped one of her hit songs, “Try Me.” When Cameron George, a K/D junior, was interviewed about the new artist, she said, “I kept seeing her hit single, ‘Try Me,’ so I Googled the lyrics and happened to really start liking her and her music.”

Dej Loaf dropped out of college to pursue her passion for music. She attended Saginaw State University in Detroit after graduating from high school in 2010. Her main focus was music, which led her to get off track when it came to doing school work. Dej Loaf is an artist who is really big on following her dreams. “I left school to do my music, tell my story. I wasn’t dedicated or interested that much. I was in class, asleep half the time. I was having more fun than actually doing the work and I kept coming home on the weekends because I was so close to home. I’m just big on passion and following dreams – so it was like do I stay here and waste time? Or do I go home and work on my mix tape. Once I went home and started working on it, everything started to come together,” she stated in her interview with Rehab Online Mag. 

A lot of rumors are going around about Dej Loaf being a lesbian. If she is, some of her fans are wondering how that will work out for her. You do not see a lot of homosexual artists being open about their sexuality through their music or in public.

“If the rumors about Dej Loaf being gay were true, it would not change the way I feel about her as an artist. I like her for her music. Plus, she’s bomb, so I wouldn’t even care,” stated Cameron.

Otsanya Deandre, another K/D student, said, “If rumors about her being gay were true it wouldn’t change any of my feelings on her music, because it is none of my business what her sexuality is and it doesn’t change her music from being really good hits.”

Being humble and positive are both great character traits that a lot of people do not have. One thing for sure is that the 23-year-old Dej Loaf is a very humble young woman and that in itself will get her very far in the industry.

“I’m a believer. I believe in God – if you doin’ good, good gon’ come to you, no matter what’s going on in life, period. I feel like I was getting myself right and I feel like everything I’m getting right now I was owed, and I say that in a humble way. Be a believer man, stay down until you come up.”

• “Love wearin’ all black, you should see my closet” -Dej Loaf

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

News

#FreeKesha

News

Prison break in Orange County

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

News

Farewell to The Mamba

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel