The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

A Royal Visit

© Jason DeCrow - Pool/Getty Images

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend St. Andrews 600th Anniversary Dinner at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on December 9, 2014.

Jannira Cuapio, Staff Writer

The second week of December 2014, the United States was visited by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, William and Catherine. Their three-day visit to New York was filled with activities that gave many opportunities to catch a glimpse of the royal couple.

Prince William and Kate arrived in New York on December 7 at The Carlyle hotel and left to dinner hosted by the American Friends of the Royal Foundation.

The next day the couple attended events separately. The Duchess of Cambridge visited Northside Center for Child Development, an organization that “provides education and mental health services to 3,300 New York City children and families each year,” according to the organization’s website. Princess Kate visited the organization and interacted with the children. Later, she lunched with British Consul General and others. That same day Prince William met with Barack Obama at the Oval Office where they discussed illegal wildlife trading. He then attended the International Corruption Hunters Alliance Conference at the World Bank and spoke about illegal wildlife trading. Afterward the couple attended a conservation reception at the British Consul General’s and ended their day with a basketball game. They attended the Cleveland Cavaliers versus the Brooklyn Nets game since the NBA Cares charity has a partnership with United for Wildlife that also tries to raise awareness about the effects of buying illegal wildlife goods.

On December 9 the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited Ground Zero where they left roses and a note signed by both, and visited the National September 11 Memorial and Museum. They also attended performances hosted by The Door and CityKids Foundation; a reception at the NeueHouse that celebrated British creative talent; and a visit to the Empire State Building by Prince William. They finished their three-day US tour by attending a reception for the St. Andrews 600th Anniversary Dinner at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, an event held for offering scholarships to underprivileged students and for investing in some of the university’s faculties.

Although it was a short and busy trip, the royal couple was able to meet many people and bring attention to different organizations. And of course, the Duchess was able to display her elegant style.

• A Royal Visit

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• A Royal Visit

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• A Royal Visit

News

#FreeKesha

• A Royal Visit

News

Prison break in Orange County

• A Royal Visit

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• A Royal Visit

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• A Royal Visit

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• A Royal Visit

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• A Royal Visit

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• A Royal Visit

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

A Royal Visit