The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Have you been Poped?

Craig Sjodln

Craig Sjodln

Scandal Season Promo

Matthew Whitaker, sports editor

Abc’s political series “Scandal” stars Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope a former White House communications director at the White House. Olivia Pope left the White House to start her own crisis management called Pope and Associates. Although leaving the White House she can’t really seem to leave the White House. Chief of Staff, Cyrus Beene, calls Pope every time something or someone needs “fixing.”

After falsifying President Grant’s election she resigned due to an ongoing affair with Fitzgerald. With her free time she began to protect the names of the nations and most important people, and continues to dedicate her life as a crisis manager in Washington, D.C.

Season one Olivia and her team, Harrison Wright, a former litigator, Huck Finn, a former CIA secret agent, Quinn Perkins, a lawyer with a secret and Abby Whaelen an investigator, all worked to protect secrets but couldn’t keep secrets of their own. Although First lady Mellie Grant couldn’t stand the lights of Olivia Pope because of the affair going on with her and her husband she knew it was best not to say anything to her for the sake of the presidency.

In September of 2012, the show premiered for season two with over 6 million viewers. During season two we got to learn how the “Olfitz” affair began, with flashbacks from the Grant administration run for Governor of California, where Olivia and Fitzgerald met. During season two, the President was shot and Huck was framed for it. Furthermore it was also revealed that FitzGerald Thomas Grant III never won his first time of presidency but that the voting was rigged in Defiance Ohio by Olivia, Cyrus, First lady Mellie Grant, Hollyis Doyle, Verna Thorton and Jerry Grant. Lastly during season two, flashbacks showed how Fitzgerald’s father, Jerry, raped his wife first lady Mellie.

Season Three kept fans on the edge of their seats the whole season. The first episode started with Olivia Pope walking out her apartment and dozens of media cameras were outside her house because her name was leaked as someone the president had been sleeping with. She was taken into a limousine where a man sat, her father. Rowan Eli Pope commanded over a covert government agency that kills, tortures, and makes assassinations look like suicides. Huck, before coming and working for Pope and associates was a B613 member, and later in the season Quinn becomes a B613 member. Olivia’s father took her to an airport with a private plane and told her to go, she made a call to the White House and spoke with Cyrus, he told her she couldn’t run that the president needed her. In season three Olivia’s new love interest, Captain Jake Ballard, was introduced and he and Olivia began to get close which made the president angry. Although battling her love for two friends, Olivia wondered where her mother was. She began to look through files of her mother’s last whereabouts and found that a plane carried a woman with her mother’s name: “Marie Lewis.” Her team found out that the plane her mother was supposed to be on was shot by the Navy soldier Fitz, but before the plane took off a woman by the name of Marie Wallace was taken off the plane by the FBI. This strange lady is Olivia’s mother. Since then she had been held in a prison cell by her father until she escaped. Olivia set up a way for her mother to leave the country on a private flight. Olivia and her team took her to the airport and the mother and daughter shared a memorable hug. Marie was no angel as everyone thought, she was actually being held by Rowan because she was a terrorist and Olivia’s dad wanted to protect her from him. On her flight she killed the pilot and landed the plane herself. The mid-season finale ended with Marie outside the White House making a call to Olivia from a burner phone saying “I’ll see you soon Livvy.” The last minute during the mid-season finale Vice President Sally Langston stabbed her husband Daniel Douglas for sleeping with James Novak, Cyrus Beene’s husband.

The show returned February 27th, 2014 with Olivia’s new found love interest Captain Jake Ballard becoming command of B613. Jake’s first act as command was to kill James Novak for knowing too much information about the death of Daniel Douglas. Vice president Sally Langston also made a public speech to America saying she would “run against Fitz in the upcoming primaries.” Causing The President to bring in a new Vice President, Andrew Nichols, not knowing that Andrew and his wife Mellie previously slept together during Grant’s run for Governor. In episode “Mama said knock you out” the Grant children are brought to him. Jerry and Karen Grant are the children of Mellie and Fitz. At a young age the two were sent to boarding school. They were brought home for a family interview. Hours before the first families interviewed, Karen caught her mother and “Uncle Andrew” in a compromised position. She stormed out the room and immediately went to her brother Jerry, who was being scowled at by Fitz for the anti-Grant page he started. Karen then told Fitz “you need to be worried about your wife and Uncle Andrew.” The interview went as planned and the family acted like they did not have any issues. After a heated discussion between Fitz and Olivia, Abby had to step in as a proxy to fill the duties that Olivia Pope would have done. Olivia is back at her office trying to shut down B613,while Huck gains access to all the B613 files and serves and shut them down. It was a happy moment until Jake stormed in and choked Olivia saying she had just killed the president. Furthermore Quinn and new B613 agent Charlie had eyes on Maya and Adnan Shelif, a young recruit that was working with Pope’s mother. Olivia and Rowan met for dinner where Pope’s mother shows up and threatens her ex husband, Rowan.

After Olivia and United States Attorney, David Rosen, shut down B613 President Fitz, Chief of Staff Cyrus Been and secret agent, Tom, show up at Olivia’s office. Jake begins to explain to the president why shutting down B613 is a bad idea and that all it took to shut it down was a “tug on the zipper.” Olivia does not understand why all the other government protection agencies can not take down her mother themselves. The other person who can help during this situation is Rowan. He has had previous history with bomb supplier and Maya’s strange lover, Dominic Bell. A White House senator died from a sudden heart attack, and Fitz is told not to go to the funeral because Olivia’s mom would easily be able to set a bomb in the church to kill him. Jake then told Cyrus to keep the president away from the church because the bomb had been placed there. Although Cyrus did know that, he still did not tell the Vice President’s secret service to room her from the church because of the bomb threat. The church was evacuated seconds before the bomb went off and Sally was only hurt from derby. The President and his advisor board went into the crime scene and agreed to get Fitz to speak to the Nation about the church bombing. Meanwhile while everything is going on at the church Maya has gone to Olivia’s office and stabbed Rowan. Olivia walked in and saw her father on the floor and called for an ambulance. Maya walked right past Huck and Quinn while they were getting “freaky” in the parking lot. Back at the church Leo Bergen, Chief of Staff, for the Langston campaign thought it would be good to score some points by having Sally go help people who were hurt in the explosion. While in the briefing room Fitz was giving a speech and was put on a national split screen and Olivia yelled at people telling them to give the president the respect he deserves. After that Cyrus and Olivia were convinced that they had lost the election. Fitz could still make one more push towards the presidency. Olivia’s mother visited Rowan in the hospital and told him to bring her baby home alive. Olivia used that to her advantage because she know if she was in the venue while Fitz delivered his final speech for president her mom wouldn’t set the bomb off. Fitz began to deliver his speech and his wife screams from the back “Fitz Fitz.” Fitz turns around and Jerry his son had collapsed and had blood coming out his arms. Fitz picked his son up, where he died in his arms, but was still rushed to the hospital. At the hospital the family learned Jerry died from bacterial meningitis caused by poisoning. While at the hospital Olivia and Cyrus sat in the lobby and had a brief discussion with one another about how America will vote for Fitz because he had lost a child. Cyrus wants to know when did they stop becoming people. Fitz does win the presidency. Rowan was released from the hospital and becomes command again. Harrison Wright meets with Rowan and he tells him how he had the president’s son killed because the president took his daughter Olivia. Secret Agent Tom injected Jerry with the poisoning disease and also shot Harrison. Olivia and Jake ran off into the sunset, Olivia leaves because she believes she is the problem, she is the thing that needs fixing. While on the plane Fitz calls Olivia from the oval but she declines the call and Jake asked if she was sure she was ready to leave her old life behind.  She just shook her head and season three ended.

WHERE HAS OLIVIA GONE.

Season 4 opens with Olivia laying on a beach and Jake getting the mail from the islands. They get a letter from Washington and assumes it’s just Olivia’s dad because he’s the only one who knew where the two were. No it was Quinn, she tracked them by Olivia’s love for wine. She sent Olivia a newspaper clipping of an article where Harrison’s body had been found. Olivia and Jake go back to Washington vowing only to stay for Harrison’s funeral. Olivia heads back to her old office only to see it closer. Abby got a job as a White House Secretary, Quinn still tries to help clients to the best of her availability and Huck now works at a computer store. Olivia goes and stops by the White House to plan Harrison’s funeral with Abby but none are really made because the two continue to yell at one another.

Scandal returns January 29th,2015 for the rest of season 4, at 9 o’clock

• Have you been Poped?

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Have you been Poped?

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Have you been Poped?

News

#FreeKesha

• Have you been Poped?

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Have you been Poped?

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Have you been Poped?

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Have you been Poped?

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Have you been Poped?

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Have you been Poped?

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Have you been Poped?

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Have you been Poped?