The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

The movie,

The movie, "The Interview" became a threat to the U.S.

© techcrunch.com

© techcrunch.com

Jamie Lofton, Staff Writer

The movie, The Interview, is a comedy about two men, Dave Skylark and Aaron Rapoport, who are the stars of a show called “Skylark Tonight.” The dictator of North Korea, Kim Jong-un, turns out to be a huge fan of their show. Dave and Aaron decided to set up a surprise interview with the North Korean dictator, hoping to make their journalism jobs more official. Unexpectedly, the CIA recruits Dave and Aaron and are given an assignment to assassinate the dictator.

North Korea was instantly offended by the movie and is not pleased with the plot of the story.

According to the breaking news from NPR, “Sony’s emails were hacked in the period leading up to the movie’s planned Christmas Day release, and the group that claimed responsibility for the hack, the Guardians of Peace, also threatened violence against moviegoers if the film made it to theaters.” The Sony hackers, who were assumed to be North Koreans, made a threat which stated a 9/11 attack at any movie theater that played The Interview. “Remember the 11th of September, 2001, we recommend you keep yourself distant from the places at that time,” the hackers stated, warning people not to watch the movie. After the threats were made, many movie theaters refused to air it. However, The Interview was edited so that it could both satisfy the North Koreans and be aired in selected movie theaters.

As a United States citizen, I felt uncomfortable knowing the movie would air because of the threats made toward the U.S. However, I do not think the situation should have been as serious as it was. Honestly, I do not think the writer of the movie intended to offend anyone from North Korea. It was only to be funny, to bring humor to the theaters. Some people did not want the movie to be aired.

“I don’t think it should have been aired because the threats are dealing with American safety and my life is precious to me…I just don’t understand why they would threat over it. I’m sure they’ve done movies on America like that,” says King/Drew student Sarah O.

Others may think otherwise. For example, Jamiah Breda-Nixon states, “I think it should have been aired. I mean, it is just a comedy. People make fun of America but you don’t see us banning their movies…it was just for a laugh.”

People are entitled to their own opinions whether they are right or wrong. Some might say that they should have aired The Interview freely and some might not think so. It all depends on how society takes the situation.

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

News

#FreeKesha

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

News

Prison break in Orange County

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

The Interview: A Threat to the U.S.