The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Love Yourself!

Love yourself or no one else will.

Vannesa Aguilar-Leyva, Staff Writer

How often do you say, “I love me”? It may sound funny, but many of us have a hard time doing just that. We get caught up in problems that distract us from taking care of ourselves. It is understandable that everyone gets distracted, but we have to take time to embrace who we are.

There are also other factors that cause us to fail to remind ourselves of the love that we have for our own individuality, such as comments made by other people or general negativity. KJunior Christian Acuna shares, “I don’t love myself because I’m self conscious about my appearance and too often care what others think about me.”

We put so much thought into these comments that we convert them into a living matter. “Oh no, you’re too fat for that shirt” or “Why are you even here?” are questions that can hurt people on the inside while the pain might not even register on the outside. Learning to love yourself will start off a good relationship with someone in the future. A good love relationship should start off with you. Others may think otherwise, but like they say, if you want change you have to change yourself first. In this case, if you want to love your significant other it starts with you.

Senior Michelle Corona says, “I don’t look at it that way. What if there’s someone out there that really loves someone but not themselves?” It is all a learning process. Think about it this way: If that person learns to love their significant other, I’m pretty sure they can learn to love themselves too. I was able to see people’s reactions as I asked, “Do you love yourself?” There was a majority that laughed and said, “What? Why are you asking such a random question?” This question would not be so random if the individual at least complimented themselves. People think it is weird, but I think it is a way of creating comfort within yourself. You come first before anything. You have to be healthy in order to take care of someone else’s health.

Another factor that leads individuals to think less about self-love is social media. We see people depicted as selfish and we carelessly tend to follow that example. However, it is important to learn to take some time out of your day to embrace who you are. Leave the negative comments aside and take a deep breath. Be happy with what you offer. Work towards taking care of who you are first, then offer your love to others later.

• Love Yourself!

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Love Yourself!

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Love Yourself!

News

#FreeKesha

• Love Yourself!

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Love Yourself!

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Love Yourself!

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Love Yourself!

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Love Yourself!

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Love Yourself!

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Love Yourself!

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Love Yourself!