The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Entitled to Your Own Opinions

Speak your mind, let yourself be heard. But also hear other opinions.
( Photo Credit: Janelle Irwin)

Speak your mind, let yourself be heard. But also hear other opinions. ( Photo Credit: Janelle Irwin)

Google

Google

Brent West, Staff Writer

Everyone has certain beliefs. Some can be persuaded to believe in other people’s opinions but some stand by their own beliefs. Regardless of whether or not you are easily persuaded, it is still your opinion and unless you want to change, then someone’s opinion should not waver yours.

An opinion is sacred, it may not be the most unique one but it gives others a sense of your personality. Interviewing peers in the hallways proved how much a child is forced to change their point of view because of a parent, a teacher, or because friends thought that their point of view upon certain things was “cool” or “uncool”.

Anjelique Jackson commented, “When I was in middle school I quit doing a lot of fun things that I found appealing because my friends did not like to do the things I liked to do. I even stopped wearing my prescription glasses because my friend found them ugly and weird. I struggled to see the board because of that, but I just stopped caring and wore them anyway. My friends were still my friends after that. They actually started to like the very same pair of glasses that they had seen as ugly.”

Another student, Jordan Robinson said,”While I was in middle school there were kids that did things that I nor my friends liked. Since they did not like the games or music we did, they were seen as outcast and weirdos, which did not surprise me at all. I knew that was just the way it was.” Jordan then went on and said “Since then though I have been more open to being friends with people no matter how they were, their sexuality, or anything else that might seem different from me.”

There was one person who, even after coming to King/Drew where all the students are so different, did not change her opinion from then to now. Maya Carter, stated that she does not want to talk to anyone who does not share the same interest as her because “there is nothing to talk about.”

Maya was then asked how she will ever know if another person shares the same interests as her if she does not even speak to the person first before judging them. “Oh well, if it was meant to be, then in time we will talk. Maybe it would be because of a project where we will not be able to choose partners,” replied Maya.

There are things that people say that may change our point of view. Other people’s words and/or actions can change our views as well as our opinions. However, thankfully we have adapted into a more accepting, understanding society. We can love who we want, wear what we want, say what we want, and do what we want. It is our life, and since we are going to be here for a while, then we might as well be happy while we are alive and kicking.

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

News

#FreeKesha

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Entitled to Your Own Opinions

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Entitled to Your Own Opinions