The student news site of King/Drew Magnet High School

The Golden Gazette

Teens and Stress

Students Under Stress

Students Under Stress

Karina Garcia

Karina Garcia

Students Under Stress

Karina Garcia, Staff Writer

The adolescent years are rumored to be the best years of our lives. Of course! It is when you experience exciting firsts such as your first kiss, first A+ in math, your first school dance, etc., as well as the years you make heartfelt memories with your friends and loved ones. Aside from being fun, teenage years are also some of the most stressful years.

Stress is one of those things that makes up our daily lives and although it may be a hard pill for us to swallow, there is really no way to prevent stress no matter how hard we try.

As teenagers, we have many stress triggering factors. For instance, many teens have to balance school, sports, clubs, work, and at-home responsibilities. Many teens tend to leave responsibilities for the last minute which leads to more stress. Students at King/Drew Magnet High School are some of the most stressed teens because the school is known for academically challenging their students. Upon arriving here, teachers say something like, “Freshman year will be the easiest year because the next three years are no joke”. This is true for some King/Drew freshmen; the most difficult years are junior and senior year. In a recent survey, a couple of King/Drew seniors stated that their junior year was more stressful than senior year.  Those who said they felt senior year was harder for them were asked why. Bryan Gutierrez said, “Having three AP classes and completing college applications is a lot of work.”

Long term stress can lead to many conditions like insomnia, anxiety, depression, weight gain, weight loss, acne, hair loss, etc. (kaiserpermanente.org) This is why we need to learn to manage stress well. Experts at helpguide.org say that because individuals respond to stress differently, there is no “one size fits all” in stress management. For some people exercise, such as jogging, walking, or boxing can help unwind. For others yoga or meditation helps. But what many suggest doing is talking to someone about it. Like Mr. Monaco (English Department KDHS) said, “I definitely suggest talking to someone about it, like our school psychologist, Ms. Gregory.”

There will always be triggers that lead to stress, but it’s up to YOU to learn how to manage it well. Jog, read a book, go for a walk in the beach, whatever it takes to maintain peace within yourself.

• Teens and Stress

Opinions

Will Disney Finally Include Gay Characters In Their Children’s Movies?

• Teens and Stress

News

George Zimmerman Auctioning Off Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin

• Teens and Stress

News

#FreeKesha

• Teens and Stress

News

Prison break in Orange County

• Teens and Stress

Entertainment

“Blackout” at the Oscars #oscarssowhite

• Teens and Stress

News

Water Contamination in Flint Michigan

• Teens and Stress

Entertainment

The Co-founder of Facebook Gives to the World

• Teens and Stress

News

LAUSD Schools Close Down

• Teens and Stress

News

Farewell to The Mamba

• Teens and Stress

Opinions

#LoseTheLabel

Teens and Stress